Please read on to find:
- New Vision English Hub Showcase Events
- Work Group - Phonics: Reading Leader Training
- Work Group - Reading for Pleasure: Pedagogy and Practice
- Work Group - Early Language Development: Closing the Word Gap
- Highlights of 2018 - 2019
- Coming up later this year...
We will be holding a series of Showcases throughout 2019 - 2020. The Showcases act as an entry point to accessing funding and further English Hub support. During the day you will be able to observe phonic teaching at Elmhurst, receive free CPD on early language development and reading for pleasure and have the opportunity to plan key actions for your school.
This event is open to Headteachers, Reading Leaders and Senior Leaders in EYFS and KS1. Up to two members of staff can attend a Showcase. If your school achieved less than 82% in the 2019 SATs results then we are able to reimburse £150/participant to offset the cost of cover and travel.
Please see the flyer below for further information.
We are pleased to announce that we will be running three work groups throughout 2019 - 2020. Each work group will focus on a different English Hub priority area. Participants will attend six sessions at Elmhurst Primary School, completing gap tasks in between session. There will be a focus on pedagogical research as well as practical strategies and participants will complete a small-scale action research project as part of the sessions.
1. Phonics: Reading Leader Training
2. Reading for Pleasure: Pedagogy and Practice
3. Early Language Development: Closing the Word Gap
Up to two members of staff from each school can register to attend each work group.
Suitable for Reading Leaders, this work group will focus on the fundamentals of running and teaching a phonic programme effectively.
Suitable for Senior Leaders, Literacy Leads and teachers who are committed to developing their children's love of reading, this work group will grow teachers pedagogical and practical understanding of how to instil a love of reading in pupils and create a whole school Reading for Pleasure culture.
Suitable for Senior Leaders, Literacy Leads and teachers, this work group will help participants to understand the research and impact of the Word Gap upon children's attainment and well-being. Participants will develop inclusive strategies that promote language development for all children.
- 6 Showcases held engaging 83 primary schools throughout NE London and Essex.
- Audits conducted at 27 primary schools to advise on the current provision of phonics and identify next steps.
- Over £100,000 funding offered to 38 primary schools and 20 partner schools identified who will receive 6 days free support in 2019 - 2020.
- 5 Literacy Specialists recruited to support our partner schools.
- Our Year 1 pupils achieved 97% in the 2019 Phonics Screening Check.
- Elmhurst Primary School was a joint winner of the 'Whole School Award' at the Egmont Reading for Pleasure Teacher Awards 2019
- 43% of our Year 6 pupils achieved Greater Depth Standard in their SATs exams.
In Spring Term we will be holding an Early Reading and Language Conference and a Phonics Screening Check Readiness session. More details to follow...
We look forward to seeing you at our events this year. Please let us know if you have any questions.
Literacy Coordinator and English Hub Lead
Elmhurst Primary School
Tel: 020 8472 1062