South Essex Teaching School Alliance in collaboration with Southend-on-Sea Local Authority will be responsible for appointing Specialist Leaders of Education (SLEs), ensuring their professional development in this role, brokering their deployment and monitoring their performance.
The role and who it is for:
SLEs are outstanding middle and senior leaders such as assistant headteachers, key stage leaders or subject leaders, with at least two years’ leadership experience. They have a particular area of expertise and a successful track record of school improvement. SLEs support leaders in other schools.
• have excellent interpersonal skills
• work sensitively and collaboratively with others
• have a commitment to outreach work
• understand what outstanding leadership practice in their area of specialism looks like and help other leaders to achieve it in their own context.
The SLE role focuses on building the leadership capacity of middle and senior leaders in other schools so that they can lead their own teams and improve practice within their own schools.
This may be done in a variety of ways such as:
• One-to-one peer coaching
• Facilitated group support
• Data analysis
• Joint action-planning.
SLEs can come from any school or academy, including nursery, primary, secondary, special, pupil referral unit, independent and free schools, and sixth form colleges. Whilst the individual must be outstanding, his or her school does not have to be.
SLEs bring with them:
• a burning desire to make a difference to student learning
• a deep commitment to professional learning
• a profound and unshakeable belief in the abilities of teacher colleagues
• a total commitment to developing the emotional ethos of the school in which they are working.
For further information and how to apply:
Applications will close at midnight Monday 4th June 2018.