New to teaching A level mathematics summer school
An introduction to active learning and the use of technology in A level Mathematics
24 Aug 2015
National STEM Centre, co-located with the National Science Learning Centre, University of York, YO10 5DD
£195.00 plus VAT Maintained
Due to generous sponsorship from Casio, we are able to offer this five day course, including all meals and accommodation, for only £195+VAT. The course, run in conjunction with MEI, will increase teachers’ subject knowledge and deepen their understanding of mathematics topics featured at A Level. In addition the course content will raise teachers’ subject pedagogical knowledge, in order to improve their teaching skills, thus giving them the confidence to teach for understanding and engagement, rather than ‘teaching to the test’. On completion of the course all participants will receive a free Casio graphical calculator and access to a free loan set of graphical calculators for three months during the following academic year.
To qualify for the course applicants will have to satisfy the following criteria:
• be new to teaching, i.e. have no more than three years teaching experience. The course is suitable for candidates who have just completed their initial teacher training programme and are about to take up their first post. In certain circumstances more experienced teachers may be allocated a place on the course if they are new to teaching A level mathematics
• have a good degree (2:2 or above) in mathematics or a degree with a significant mathematical content
• hold a post, or be about to start a post requiring the teaching of A level mathematics
• applicants will be required to complete a survey giving further details of their teaching experience to ensure that the course is suitable for their needs.
The application window closes at the end of April 2015. You will be informed whether your application has been successful in the first week of May 2015. (Applications made after this date will be informed whether their application has been successful asap)
This is a residential course, fees include meals and accommodation for the duration of the course. Course fees vary for participants outside the UK. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
On completion of the course teachers will:
• have a deeper understanding of the key concepts that underpin A level mathematics, and how these ideas are linked together across the subject
• have developed a range of approaches to teaching these concepts
• understand the importance of practical approaches to teaching applied mathematics
How to apply
To make a booking please follow the link to the National STEM Centre page here:
If you have any difficulties in making your booking please contact the National STEM Centre on 01904 328140.