School Centred Initial Teacher Training - SCITT
Thinking of becoming a Teacher?
You may remember a truly brilliant teacher from school who made a real difference to your life.
As a teacher, you can use your knowledge and passion for your subject to help children unlock capabilities and talents that they didn’t even know they had. You’ll develop a wide range of transferable skills for yourself in the process, too. In addition to planning and teaching a range of engaging lessons, you can indulge in your hobbies and interests as part of your work by getting involved in after-school clubs, trips or sport. To teach within England and Wales you need to undertake Initial Teacher Training (ITT) to gain Qualified Teacher Status (QTS).
How can SCITT help you?
The SCITT teacher training route is designed and delivered by groups of neighbouring schools and colleges. Most of the training is delivered in the classroom by experienced teachers. Many SCITT courses also include a PGCE qualification, but not all do. If gaining a PGCE is important to you, check before applying.
Since the closure of Southend Secondary SCITT, Essex and Thames Primary SCITT have taken over the recruitment and training of secondary trainees also. The provider is now called Essex and Thames SCITT.
The basic entry requirements for Initial Teacher Training (ITT) are as follows:
- GCSE Maths grade C or above (or equivalent)
- GCSE English grade C or above (or equivalent)
- GCSE Science grade C or above (or equivalent) for those applying for primary teaching only
- A good degree for postgraduate routes into teaching; the grade will be determined by the accredited provider awarding Qualified Teacher Status
- You must have also passed the two Professional Skills Tests in literacy and numeracy before you start Initial Teacher Training.
The Department for Education has a dedicated website:
Get Into Teaching
To support those wishing to become Teachers with a wide range of information and guidance - you will also be able to register with the Department for Education for tailored advice and guidance.